Demo Bugs - Post your bug finds here

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Demo Bugs - Post your bug finds here

Postby dislekcia on Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:39 am

herpaderp wrote:Not sure if this is a bug or a change (in alpha):

My goblin gets experience for glyphs and my orc gets a base damage bonus.

Change. People didn't like the old Goblin as an actual impactful race, it was just there to give people gold faster... So we thought we'd mess with Orcs a little and shuffle the races around.
dislekcia

Postby Aequitas on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 am

Anyone having 'black screen' issues, there seems to hve been a problem with the uploaded file getting corrupted somehow. I'm uploading a new one, so you should be able to play again.

Sorry about that.
Aequitas
Site Admin

Postby metroid composite on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 pm

When an enemy has magic resist, and resists knockback from PISORF, they seem to gain 25% physical resistance each time (up to 100% physical resist).

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it does have the consequence of making some enemies pretty much unbeatable. (I'm guessing this is what happened when I lost to a 100% defence Ssseth).
metroid composite

Postby flap on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:58 pm

I have also had a plant in the lower left corner of the rock garden, which is drawn, but does not seem to exist : just before there was a goblin on the top of it.
Now that the goblin is dead, I can't see any blood. I can walk over the tile, and when placing the cursor on the top of no monster information is being displayed.

I have also had an impossible Rock Garden : I was closed in a fearly big area, with only 3 level 1 monster, and one way out (everything else was blocked by walls) with a level 3 monster. There might have been a trick, but I did not find it...
flap

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:21 pm

flap wrote:I have also had a plant in the lower left corner of the rock garden, which is drawn, but does not seem to exist : just before there was a goblin on the top of it.
Now that the goblin is dead, I can't see any blood. I can walk over the tile, and when placing the cursor on the top of no monster information is being displayed.

I have also had an impossible Rock Garden : I was closed in a fearly big area, with only 3 level 1 monster, and one way out (everything else was blocked by walls) with a level 3 monster. There might have been a trick, but I did not find it...

We've fixed the swamp issue on our side, it may be uploaded later. Thanks for the spot, guys. :)

Also, your mention of the Rock Garden scenario is an interesting one: do you go for the Smuggler Tunnels preparation at all? I typically grab it as a "safety preparation" for the more restrictive levels and have actually found it useful once or twice. Rock Garden is particularly prone to "broader" entrapment due to its singular paths and the fact that there actually are fewer enemies spawned. It's a pity that none of the more useful movement glyphs didn't spawn in your starting area, though.

I'm aware that the tunnels are not a terribly popular prep though, so I'll probably revise it to give a similar idea of freedom while removing a bit of its riskier, random nature. I've got one or two ideas.
Nandrew

Postby Nandrew on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 pm

metroid composite wrote:When an enemy has magic resist, and resists knockback from PISORF, they seem to gain 25% physical resistance each time (up to 100% physical resist).

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it does have the consequence of making some enemies pretty much unbeatable. (I'm guessing this is what happened when I lost to a 100% defence Ssseth).

Each glyph has a different effect on casting failure, and that's PISORF's one. Generally, the knockback glyph provides you with better punch for mana when resistances aren't involved: as soon as the %s climb, though, favour goes back to fireball, especially considering the risks involved.
Nandrew

Postby metroid composite on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Nandrew wrote:
metroid composite wrote:When an enemy has magic resist, and resists knockback from PISORF, they seem to gain 25% physical resistance each time (up to 100% physical resist).

Each glyph has a different effect on casting failure, and that's PISORF's one. Generally, the knockback glyph provides you with better punch for mana when resistances aren't involved: as soon as the %s climb, though, favour goes back to fireball, especially considering the risks involved.

Huh; I'm not sure what the poison glyph's backfire effect is. (I've seen WEYTWUT's fail effect...which is basically the old freeware effect. But I tried poison out of curiosity, but didn't notice an ill effect).

But...regardless, I'm not sure how much I like this. These spells are already bad against magic defence; PISORF worse than most because walls are a finite resource, and you sometimes need to explore more dungeon to follow an enemy you just knocked into a wall (and exploring more dungeon is usually not what you want to do against high-defence enemies).

And...honestly, there have been times when I've had all three of PISORF, BURNDAYRAZ, and WEYTWUT, and I still used BURNDAYRAZ. Yes, you can spend some mana to get the enemy into position, and then spend some exploration tiles making sure the enemy won't regen in the middle of the fight when you move to knock them through the next wall. Or, if you don't need to squeeze out that 10% extra damage, you could just fireball and win, using far fewer resources.
metroid composite

Postby el_devo on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Found another oddity with the dungeon setup. Take a look at this image. You can see through the bloodstains that all of the enemies were concentrated in the lower-left. Thought I would show you in case it helps tweak your dungeon generation code :D
el_devo

Postby flap on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Nandrew wrote:Also, your mention of the Rock Garden scenario is an interesting one: do you go for the Smuggler Tunnels preparation at all?

You will laugh : I had not understood that we could choose one the objects before going into the dungeons. I thought that it was there just as display for future versions
flap

Postby neongrey on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 am

Speaking of the Rock Garden and the smuggler tunnels, I just went in with that setup... and when I entered the smuggler tunnel, in the lower left-hand corner, I saw a plant sitting there, perfectly exposed. In the same spot on the main map was just a wall.
neongrey

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons