*SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: *SPOILERS* Dailies Thread

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:06 am

* Rat Monarch in Hexx Ruins *

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the tales of a sleepy idiot:

Spoiler: show
* I recklessly petrified the only square leading down to the bottom left corner (I did not know the second boss was there). At some point I realized that and started searching for the boss.

* Found LEMMISI (!!!), Without it I would be lost completely, since there would be no way to reach the boss.

* With LEMMISI I saw the area around the boss and the monsters in the bottom left corner. I stupidly converted LEMMISI before uncovering the boss with it. I could simply WEYTWUT the boss out of the corner (Stheno does not get all pissy at WEYTWUT, only PISORF) , then I could use Schadenfreude or a levelup to get more mana and teleport out of the corner to join the boss on the outside.

* With LEMMISI converted, but the boss square being still black (see the first screenshot), I thought I only had one shot of going in via WEYTWUT. Luckily enough, there were monsters there. I only had 1 mana potion left, so no way to WEYTWUT the boss out of the corner anymore.

* I got as many Greenbloods as I could, got Scholar's Pact from PM (which is another mistake, Alchemist's Pact was better, because I could hit Stheno a bunch of times, level up with a potion, and then hit him again a bunch of times), and WEYTWUT myself in. Killed the L1 to level up. Attacked Stheno several times, and activated Schadenfreude before the last hit.

Pheew... That was a close one. I hate playing sleepy... I did not sleep normally for more than a week.

Screenshots:
1) Dumbass realised something was wrong, but still converted LEMMISI:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1610193998

2) Phew:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1610194259

3) Victory screen:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1610194541

It was a New Year miracle :lol: :shock: :D

PS: I guess I could this:
1) WEYTWUT with L2 gorgon
2) Schadenfreude on the L8 snake
3) WEYTWUT outside of there
4) replentish mana
5) weytwut with the boss
6) level up on the L1 snake or by drinking potions
7) weytwut with some other monster on the outside
AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:30 am

* Vampire in Shifting Passages *

Phew, that was close. The random boss is a lot of trouble.
Quicksilver activated only after like 10 hits, insane. it was my last hit.
Basically, I got lucky again. Also, I could not find any glyphs for a very long time.
I was getting really nervous about that.

PS: If DBeatch wins this one, I will eat my hat: he prepped Dracul instead of the Bear Mace:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 696E7C533/
AvovA17

Postby Xenagie on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:50 am

*Vampire in Shifting Passages*
Yikes, this one was rough. If I hadn't practiced the hell out of Vampire Shifting Halls, I would have ended my streak right there. If I hadn't looked at the daily leaderboard, and saw the percentage of deaths, I wouldn't have taken the map seriously enough, and lost. If I hadn't found Bleaty very quickly, I wouldn't have properly saved for Quicksilver and the Badge of Honor, and probably would have converted GETINDARE as well, and have lost. I ended with a moderate amount of resources, but I was having a VERY neurotic run. I alt-tabbed to a calculator to make sure I wasn't missing a hit on Bleaty, for God's sake.

On a side note, I came in thinking the bear mace was conversion fodder since I normally don't get the utility others do out of it, but was pleasantly surprised by it this run. The opened, then labyrinthine map structure of Shifting Passages meant I wasn't constantly being forced to knock enemies into black space, and it allowed me to push my blood cows safely into corners. This was probably old news to everyone else who reads this, but it's always neat to me when I'm still learning new tricks after many, many hours of play.

P.S. @AvovA17 I also had to take a real drubbing before Quicksilver would activate, although it was closer to 5 or 6 than to 10. It really makes me curious about how this is actually calculated in game.
Xenagie

Postby AvovA17 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Welcome to the forums, Xenagie!

Spoiler: show
Xenagie wrote:*Vampire in Shifting Passages*
Yikes, this one was rough. If I hadn't practiced the hell out of Vampire Shifting Halls, I would have ended my streak right there. If I hadn't looked at the daily leaderboard, and saw the percentage of deaths, I wouldn't have taken the map seriously enough, and lost.

Yep, it was a hard one. Vemb lost his streak of 95. William and DBeatch also lost.
I only played 1 prac before this one, cause I was playing all the vicious maps with the vampire all holidays. Still, playing Vicious with the ideal 200+gp preps and maxed out perfect veto slots is very different from playing a DERP without resists.

I found Bleaty early enough: around L1-3, don't remember exactly. But by that time
I already bought Rock Heart and Viper Ward to get +1 bloodsteal (I could not find any glyphs, just really bad luck in the beginning).

After I found Bleaty I played a very focused and tight game, and I managed to get to L7-8 with
an extensive battery of bloodcows. And then it dawned on me that the bloodcows are useless against Bleaty (they would have been very useful against Frank). I was able to kill Evolvia using bloodpools alone, pretty much.

In terms of glyphs the RNG was very generous today: no CYDSTEP, but ENDISWAL, GETIDARE and HALPMEH all there, and IAMWAL with APHEELSIK too IIRC. (I got the extra glyph prep). It was hard to decide which ones to keep and which ones to convert (I converted IAMAWAL and APHEELSIK or B2P, whatever it was, right away. But ENDISWAL/GEINDARE/HALPMEH are all very very useful).

In fact, against Bleaty ENDISWAL is way stronger than HALPMEH.
Unfortunately, I did not know ahead of time that I would have so many cows.
Also, without platemail to slow you, GETINDARE acts as HALPMEH: before your last hit
explore a bit to heal the monster just so that you barely kill him, then get first strike and suck all the remaining blood out of it. Hence I think converting HALPMEH was a much better plan. Unfortunately, I converted ENDISWAL, after making a bunch of holes in the maze just in case.

There are several ways to kill Bleaty:
1) With 60% resists 291 attack becomes only 117 (or 116, dunno which way it is rounded).
and with 65% it is 101-102. Hence you could land 1 hit normally. Then Level up, cast ENDISWAL 3 times again,
and you can hit him again. Plus one GETINDARE hit to finish off. With out a levelup you could even use Schadenfreude (to cast more ENDISWAL) or the Reflex potion to get one more hit.

2) Buy Reflex and use it after popping Badge of Honour. Somehow I totally missed that option in the heat of it.

3) Use Quicksilver + Badge of Honour. Quicksilver did not activate for me for a really long time, I had to kill all my bloodcows. I had no option at that point but to pop Badge of Honour, and use it on Bleaty as my last resort. Finally dodge activated at that point.

4) no CYDSTEP today.

5) I did not do the math, but probably 2 fireballs + level up + 2 more fireballs + schadenfreude + 4 mana potions were enough (with 1 last hit via GETINDARE and 1 hit with DP if needed).

labyrinthine map structure of Shifting Passages meant I wasn't constantly being forced to knock enemies into black space, and it allowed me to push my blood cows safely into corners.

Vampire lives and dies by his bloodcows, blackspace is of little importance to Vampire.
Just plan ahead who you are gonna fight next, and explore all around that monster.
AvovA17

Postby Xenagie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:34 am

Yeah, I thought about using ENDISWAL but I think if I had leveled up enough to have 101 health, I feel I would have ran out of blackspace for mana regen and had to kill more of my blood cows for XP -- and then I would have been in bad shape for Evolvia. I'm not sure, but it would have definitely made it harder on an already hard map.

The bear mace is good, I just feel other people use it more effectively than I do. In tight, winding maps I end up in situations where the enemy I need to kill is being bowled down a long corridor, while healing faster than my low level character, and in open maps I end up not being in a situation to use it as much. It's usually not even that bad, but I think the loss aversion bias makes it seem more annoying than it really is. It just meshed really well on a map where I could explore around the character I wanted to fight, and then use it once the walls closed in.
Xenagie

Postby AvovA17 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:38 am

Xenagie wrote:Yeah, I thought about using ENDISWAL but I think if I had leveled up enough to have 101 health

You only needed around 70hp, then you can get to 100+ with bloodcows.

I would love to see Haakon's replay. 137 XP, and he still won.
AvovA17

Postby Xenagie on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:48 am

You only needed around 70hp, then you can get to 100+ with bloodcows.

Damn, you're completely right. I didn't even think of that. At the time I converted ENDISWAL, I was trying to get more inventory space and I was still in the mindset of 291*.65>70hp. Need to sharpen my Vampire skills.
Xenagie

Postby Beatch on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:57 am

AvovA17 wrote:PS: If DBeatch wins this one, I will eat my hat: he prepped Dracul instead of the Bear Mace:

I don't want to talk about it.
My wife even knew my choice was bad smh.
Beatch

Postby AvovA17 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:42 am

Beatch wrote:
AvovA17 wrote:PS: If DBeatch wins this one, I will eat my hat: he prepped Dracul instead of the Bear Mace:

What did Mrs. DBeatch say on prepping "fewer glyphs" on an elf transmuter? :shock:
AvovA17

Postby Beatch on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:04 am

AvovA17 wrote:
Beatch wrote:

What did Mrs. DBeatch say on prepping "fewer glyphs" on an elf transmuter? :shock:

Something along the lines of "Gotta go fast", no, wait, that was me.
I feel a prep-less streak coming on to take the heat off of my choices. Unless we get a Dracul Vampire daily again
Beatch

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons