Okay, take this!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Okay, take this!

Postby Darvin on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:08 am

The constant backtracking of the (pretty much mandatory) transmuter approach is the real culprit for the huge amount of time necessary to complete this level.
Darvin

Postby Signal on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 am

Darvin wrote:If the boss doesn't get you, Unity will :lol:

Tru, dat.

Just had what would've been a successful run before a crash @ 1k hp on boss.

It's not nearly as bad as it looks (the dungeon, not unity). That was my first serious attempt with not much scumming and many, many play mistakes. Subanark's set-up is good. Patches and mp->attack are the only questionable things there. I lucked out on patches a bit, getting 2 mana so I didn't have to worry about hitting 10, but there's more than enough wiggle room to remove a source of luck and also free up an inventory slot for the earlier levels. I also ended up not getting good value out of the really big sword since I didn't get a soul orb and had to fireball the boss. Flame heart was very important without the orb. I think you really, really want soul orb, piercing wand, flame heart, or mage ring, in order of preference, but I think it's possible without any of them as long as you play extremely tight (which wouldn't be fun, given how long the dungeon is). Healing is mandatory.

My god usage was Taurog immediately, which was awkward only because I had to teleport a couple dudes to get to him and still had enough to convert (which was all I wanted him for). Switched to TT, picked up dodge (and a relevant 10 gold), which wasn't particularly necessary, but every little bit helps and I needed to get off taurog. Switched to GG, got humility, then switched to binlor. I didn't realize having 20 walls on the level was mandatory and ended up not getting any boons from him. I do think stone fist is extremely good though. Switched to MM, got a bunch of free mp. Didn't use her charge ability because I forgot about it until after I already used whupazz on the boss. Got flames when I started fireballing the boss. It wouldn't have been necessary (barely), but my plan after that was to keep on pumping my mp up with her until I ran out of walls, then convert to dracul, convert all hp into piety into mp, using my mp pots, and saving enough to convert to GG for replenishes on what would've been about 30 max mp, saccing unnecessary items and desecrating irrelevant altars.
Signal

Postby subanark on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 am

And... victory!! Still had quite a few walls left to xmute too. Soul orb + healing glyph + really big sword + rockheart + patches. Also managed to pick up a blue orb (+1 mana per kill). Patches didn't give me any bonus mana, so I ended up using the healing glyph most the way. I did get a few life ups a couple of attack ups and 1 %4 resists. After I hit max level I converted patches and bought a vamperic blade to help a bit. After I got past zombies I worshiped Drac who gave me a lot of piety for previous kills. I took blood shield and preceeded to kill off the non-undead still alive in the main room. I ended up with enough piety to get a +2 mana bonus as well with still enough to convert to GG. Quicly got rid of my vamperic blade (GG hates that stuff) and got humility, which immediately releveled me to 10 since I had enough XP. Picked up the fireball glyph at this point and proceeded to kill the sorcerers. When I hit the golems I was able to just squeak by with sanctified kill to get enough piety to switch to Mysteria. From there I built up a lot of piety which I spent on refresh to save walls. Before I fought the boss I make sure I fully explored everywhere. I converted Fireball, the blue crystal and bought an item to convert along with a potion to push me up to 115 attack. Can of Whupaz and slowly chiping away at his life I eventually got him down. I probably had about 3 full rooms of walls left.
subanark

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:10 am

I wonder how the devs feel that it took only two days to beat their new super dungeon.

Though I guess this pretty much proves Transmuters are broken even after being remade the 3rd time.
TigerKnee

Postby FDru on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 pm

TigerKnee wrote:I wonder how the devs feel that it took only two days to beat their new super dungeon.

I would assume they're satisfied that it took that long.
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:37 pm

What was the reward????????
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby 232 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Congrats subanark!

I hope there was a nice item at the end and not just the 9999 gold from the quest...

Postby subanark on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:13 pm

232 wrote:Congrats subanark!

I hope there was a nice item at the end and not just the 9999 gold from the quest...

No item, just the goat's head and the gold reward.
subanark

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:04 pm

So so lame...

They need to add more special rewards.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 pm

They should show if you beat dungeons with transmuters too because otherwise you can't prove or see you beat the tower.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons