Improving and Changing Gods!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Improving and Changing Gods!

Postby Alweth on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:04 am

The Avatar wrote:So the more damage you do the more weakening you get? I'm kinda confused.

Yes.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:17 am

Oh... I guess... But then that would kinda defeat the purpose of monk in slime pits if he had some sort of natural resistance to it.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Alweth on Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:31 am

There's still Corrosion, Poison, Mana Burn...

EDIT: In any case, shouldn't classes take precedence over quests, not vis-versa? If a quest is less hard, just reduce the reward, or change it to another dungeon, or change the dungeon.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
Alweth

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Well, yeah, but it's a 3-stage quest, and they aren't gonna' make the last one easy...
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 pm

q 3 wrote:A percentage based system is possibly even harder to balance. At low levels, it's terribly underpowered; when you're hitting for 10 damage, even 50% lifesteal (which would have been an absurdly high level in the alpha) only restores 5 HP, i.e. the starting amount of lifesteal in the beta. At high levels, it can become ridiculously overpowered; it's quite possible to hit for over 200 or even 300 damage if you min-max enough, and with 50% lifesteal that would make you invincible to nearly every boss.

What about changing lifesteal from a fixed to a level-dependent value? E.g., instead of each additional lifesteal boon restoring +5 HP (or +5%), it restores +1 HP times character level (1 HP at level 1, 10 HP at level 10). Modify the cost a bit so a couple of levels are relatively cheap but several levels require a serious investment, and it could conceivably be a serviceable ability both early on and late in a dungeon.

I think that would be better phrased as a percentage of base damage (see the Knockback glyph). So still a percentage, just of a different number :)
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:49 pm

That could work very, very well. Maybe. I'm not really sure whether that would be too good, too bad, or just right.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons