Complicated Tasks, Pt 6 Help!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Complicated Tasks, Pt 6 Help!

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:04 am

It could work, basically making GETINDARE to quicksilver potions as HALPMEH is to healing potions. This would cause some weirdness in that the first strike effect would be lost after the first attack, but the dodge effect would only be expended when it actually happened.

I'd prefer to go with something like damage reduction, and I'm recommending that for three reasons:

1) Damage reduction would allow a rogue to survive hits he normally could not, giving this class a strong use for the GETINDARE glyph and their first real alternative to CYDSTEPP as a survival mechanism.

2) We have too few damage reduction effects as it is, and it's difficult to stack them to an amount that is appreciable at higher levels.

3) It doesn't actually make the glyph stronger, only more versatile, since you cannot benefit from both first strike and damage reduction on the same attack.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 pm

That's true, it just doesn't really fit with the name. How much reduction? Is it stackable? What's the cap?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:21 pm

I'd say somewhere in the range of 3-5 per level non-stacking. Because damage reduction is applied before damage resistance, it should offer at least the same value as HALPMEH (3 HP per level), if not a tad more.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:51 pm

If only it was applied after... Invincible Monks could have won Gaan-Telet...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Knockback with Poison doesn't stick, probably because Knockback damage is apparently a seperate trigger that happens after the main attack.

Edit: Just need to clarify that you need to knock them into something like a wall to see the bug. It works fine if you don't.

I don't know if it's intentional but it certainly makes Half-Dragon a lot weaker (and they're already rather reliant to the point of gimmicky on certain dungeons)
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:40 pm

I had the same problem with a gorgon and stone fist. Also, half-dragon knockback doesn't do physical damage, so they are kind of screwed versus the iron man.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:47 pm

For some reason I thought I posted that in bug reports. Man, I must be really tired.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Hilarious. We all have our bad days.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:17 am

I actually kinda like the idea of Getindare doing damage reduction. Especially as it's an either-or situation... I mean, I use it for first strike at the end of fireball chains all the time, but reduction is a good carrot too. I'll bring it up in the design discussion tomorrow.

Yes, knockback will nix poison: You're hitting something into a wall AFTER you've poisoned it. Is this a concern?

Really surprised that Half Dragons aren't doing physical damage via knockback, they totally should. Will test that tomorrow.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:30 am

Yeah, I HATE changelings. A lot.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons