Troubling Times pt 1

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Troubling Times pt 1

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:55 pm

If you got SMM, Iron Man, and Bleaty all in one round, it shouldn't be too hard to smash them into each other. The strategy for him would be very similar to the thief strategy.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Darvin wrote:I'd actually say Berserkers have it worse since this level is really punishing them for their poor spellcasting abilities and there aren't enough alternate resources to get them through ten bosses. The monster classes also are going to have trouble; Vampire effectively has no way to beat Bleaty or regenerate mana/health between boss fights, Half-Dragon is utterly hopeless against magic resist in the current version, although the Gorgon might be able to pull it off on a longshot.

But yeah, because of Bleaty's presence you will be scumming for CYDSTEPP, and reaching level 10 is a forgone conclusion, so the fighter effectively has no class features going into the arena. If he can prevail, then anyone without a crippling weakness can as well.

For what it's worth, I've beaten Naga City without CYDSTEPP with the Paladin. In fact, on that run, I think CYDSTEPP shutting off my mana regen (exhaustion) would have actually caused me to LOSE. I happened to find a CYDSTEPP on my Monk run, but it didn't really help much.

So you either have to do 65% physical resist or CYDSTEPP to beat it.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:11 pm

Or be a dwarf with slightly less resistance...
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:31 pm

The Avatar wrote:Or be a dwarf with slightly less resistance...

Actually, I'd disagree there. Regen fighting is crucial and the Dwarf doesn't get any extra regen, so his higher health doesn't help as much as it could.

I'd stick with a Sensation Stone Orc (Storc?) or a Triling.

I think, with scumming for Taurog, Pactmaker, and an Agnostic's Collar, any class could beat Naga City as one of those races.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:16 pm

For what it's worth, I've beaten Naga City without CYDSTEPP with the Paladin.

I've beaten Naga City with only the BURNDAYRAZ glyph as a Thief. If you're playing a strong class, you don't need the top-tier glyph. For fighter, which is the class I was talking about, you have much less wiggle room.

Agreed; 65% resist and HALPMEH or very high damage and CYDSTEPP. Given he starts at 0% resist, though, I'd imagine fighter will want to use CYDSTEPP for his Bleaty battle.
Last edited by Darvin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Darvin wrote:
For what it's worth, I've beaten Naga City without CYDSTEPP with the Paladin.

I've beaten Naga City without only the BURNDAYRAZ glyph as a Thief. If you're playing a strong class, you don't need the top-tier glyph. For fighter, which is the class I was talking about, you have much less wiggle room.

Agreed; 65% resist and HALPMEH or very high damage and CYDSTEPP. Given he starts at 0% resist, though, I'd imagine fighter will want to use CYDSTEPP for his Bleaty battle.

Ahh, ok. I misunderstood your post.

I agree that CYDSTEPP is probably the best way for the Fighter to beat Naga City, even if just for the reason that it takes less scumming than getting Pactmaker and some combination of items/gods that get you to 65% physical resist.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:52 pm

If anyone can beat Naga City, anyone can beat almost every Vicious dungeon.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons