Naga City

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Naga City

Postby Fran on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:06 am

Lujo wrote:Regarding the monk - one full health bar = 20 Drac piety, +10 for each sucessive bloodswell. If the monk gets 2X the damage out of one bloodswell, that breaks all kinds of things. As he can hit his (75%) cap with dragonshield and 2 patches hits, he is free to use all his piety farm on bloodswells and poison (and he can think of Pactmaker as a piety farm, instead of wasting loads of piety on Body Pact). With 2X the regen and ease of getting poison, the damage advantage spirals out of control very fast.

And as soon as you up the damage in any way the comparison between a 75% resistance and 25% resistance char starts going in favour of the 75% resists guy. Because he can get more hits in, and because he doesn't have to waste slots on resistance after 2 patches hits, he can afford more damage items, which leads to posible parched runs of Naga City.


I don't see where 2X damage out of one bloodswell overall increases the damage advantage from the 2X in the first place, as its still 2X damage for all bloodswells combined. When you suppose the monk hits its 75% with dragonshield and 2 patches hits, the other character compared before reaches his 25% also with dragonshield and 2 patches hits and is also free to use all piety on bloodswells.
Also, there is the thing where you don't have dracul in the dungeon in the first place.
The issue with damage is a general problem, but supposing cydstep is going to be fixed in any way, the damage is likely to decrease so I think this will be fixed as well.

But I have to agree that combined with fast regen the above is making the monk extremely gamebreaking; I'm just not sure if it is game breaking without considering regen, as I also don't think that you're far better off than 2X. Thats still propably too strong but not as gamebreaking as you make it sound.
User avatar
Fran
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Re: Naga City

Postby Gorgon on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:10 pm

Fran wrote:But I have to agree that combined with fast regen the above is making the monk extremely gamebreaking; I'm just not sure if it is game breaking without considering regen, as I also don't think that you're far better off than 2X. Thats still propably too strong but not as gamebreaking as you make it sound.


Agreed. the monk only received a power-up because he used to be a weak class. Not necessarily weak, but he used to lack synergy with items, like most defensive classes/races in the game. Now, he can jump to 75% resistances with defensive items.
User avatar
Gorgon
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Naga City

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:16 pm

Gorgon wrote:
Fran wrote:But I have to agree that combined with fast regen the above is making the monk extremely gamebreaking; I'm just not sure if it is game breaking without considering regen, as I also don't think that you're far better off than 2X. Thats still propably too strong but not as gamebreaking as you make it sound.


Agreed. the monk only received a power-up because he used to be a weak class. Not necessarily weak, but he used to lack synergy with items, like most defensive classes/races in the game. Now, he can jump to 75% resistances with defensive items.


Yeah, the only real issue is that he got roughly a 30% buff in the last patch (taking 25% damage instead of 35% damage).

There's really two ways to fix that. They could drop his cap down to 70%, which should bring him in line with the others.

Alternatively, make all resistance sources multiplicative with each other, with no cap. That'll make sure the Monk always keeps his 50% compared to everyone else and he can be balanced around that.
gjaustin
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 am

Re: Naga City

Postby Fran on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm

gjaustin wrote:Alternatively, make all resistance sources multiplicative with each other, with no cap. That'll make sure the Monk always keeps his 50% compared to everyone else and he can be balanced around that.


I'd really like to see this solution.
User avatar
Fran
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests