Weakest race/class combos

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Weakest race/class combos

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm

Out of curiousity, was the Halfling and Gnome really considered "weak" enough in Alpha to warrant the 80 conversion rate they are getting in Beta?
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:34 pm

In the Alpha, every time I took Mystera I lost the dungeon. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Try using all your health potions against the boss, saving your mana potions, then worship Mystera at the last hour for her "magic" boon to boost your spellcasting power. She's an 11th hour god in the alpha; not a very good one, but she works.

Out of curiousity, was the Halfling and Gnome really considered "weak" enough in Alpha to warrant the 80 conversion rate they are getting in Beta?

Back in the alpha, level-up catapults were much more critical to your approach against the boss, so elf and dwarf tended to get significantly more mileage than gnome and halfling. I didn't use the potion races in the alpha unless it combo'd off of one of my class features.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm

To back up Darvin, I seem to recall doing the math for Elf vs. Gnome in the Alpha and realizing that Elf was better in pretty much every circumstance. I want to say that Thief and Sorcerer were the only exceptions.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 pm

Warlord was also a good gnome choice.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Darvin wrote:Warlord was also a good gnome choice.

True, though I was actually referring to classes that got more mana out of Gnome, rather than classes that were better as Gnomes. Despite the mana advantage, Elf still makes a much better Sorcerer than a Gnome.

Bloodmage technically gets more mana as well, but that results in so much more health loss that it isn't worth it.
gjaustin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons