Preparations

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Preparations

Postby gjaustin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 am

Darvin wrote:
The problem with making them cost more as a balancing factor is Translocation Seal. You could make them cost a 1,000,000 gold and it wouldn't really matter. It still helps, but it isn't a foolproof solution.

Translocation Seal doesn't work on shops where you can select one item from a list of choices ;-)

Oh, hah I guess I misread your suggestion. Still, I'd rather see it a separate prep, rather than add on to one I find quite good already.

Extra Elites isn't bad, Apothocary is better. I'd rather replace quest items.

Agreed. Shop scroll isn't so great either now that we have extra shops from the upgraded Bezar.

My problem with Extra Elites is that it fills up your shops with a bunch of stuff you can't afford to buy. Though, to be fair, I haven't tried it with the extra shops yet.

Quest Items would be just as bad, if it wasn't for the fact that Agnostic's Collar, Midas Gloves Crystal Ball, and Whurgarbl didn't fit into that category!

Extra Shop is a nice simple prep that everything else should be balanced around. As silly as it sounds, I think Apothecary needs to be nerfed to one shop. I never thought I'd say that prep needed a nerf :)
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 am

As silly as it sounds, I think Apothecary needs to be nerfed to one shop. I never thought I'd say that prep needed a nerf

Tell me about it. Strength and Schadenfreude potion shops were always reasonably good finds, but having them sitting on the side not eating up your other shop space has made them exceedingly valuable.

Perhaps once you buy a potion from an apothecary, the other apothecary shops can't sell that same potion. This would mean no 4x strength or 4x Schadenfreude (which is what's causing the problems).

Oh, and as as color-blind gamer I'd like to add that I cannot tell the difference between apothecaries and regular shops, and have to actually visit them to see what's in stock to knock what it is. I've been told apothecaries are green, but I can't tell the difference between regular shops.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 am

Yeah, they look like a green tinted shop. I don't know much about being colorblind, but purple might work better and it would look good/fit with theme.

Not selling more than one of the same potion sounds reasonable.

Wait, Midas Gloves and the other two mentioned don't have quests! They're from easy dungeons. Well, that prep's better than I thought...
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:57 am

The Avatar wrote:Yeah, they look like a green tinted shop. I don't know much about being colorblind, but purple might work better and it would look good/fit with theme.

Not selling more than one of the same potion sounds reasonable.

Wait, Midas Gloves and the other two mentioned don't have quests! They're from easy dungeons. Well, that prep's better than I thought...

Huh, you're right. I may be misunderstanding how it works.

Then it should be changed to the Easy dungeon item prep :)
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 am

Weird. Well, it's actually pretty good then. Fire sword, agnostic collar, Midas gloves, soul orb, and viper ward all guaranteed! Unless it's easy and quest items...

Speaking of quest items, I think they scrapped the zombie dog...
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:13 am

Quest item prep was essential in all the soul orb scumming endavours. You practicaly HAD to have it to do Gaan'Telet with anythin on a non-selective unlock profile. And if Bleaty has mana burn, you probably still do.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Ah! That's why the tower took ahem of scumming for me!

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:06 am

A couple preps that I think would improve balance a bit: replace 2 MP boosts with 2 mana potions, and replace 2 HP boosts with 2 health potions.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:13 am

2 MP prep isn't bad at all, particularly for humans. Having 15 mana conveniently means each mana potion restores 6 MP. Swapping boosters for potions might be a thought for the health boosters, though. Pretty much only Rogues value health boosters highly enough to want more of them...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:55 pm

But it's not a half bad prep for pure Melee berserkers too...

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons