Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: QA Thoughts

Postby dislekcia on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:11 am

topagae wrote:Thought maybe you guys would wanna hear this stuff from a QA guy, not bugs but what I'd be telling you if I was working for you.

Tutorial - Not bad, but bad form to have railroaded flows (Just do what we tell you and stop attacking the goat!).

Town - Needs a LOT of love. The text in the tutorial for selecting heroes and adventuring was confusing and wasn't immediately apparent. It's all pretty ugly and flows poorly. Text all over the application isn't centered or formatted consistently. Highly suggest you put some time into making town UI clear, crisp, and sexy. People will be spending a lot of time there.

Will do more later. Gotta do real work.

You're helping a ton so far :)

Quick thing about the Kingdom: It's supposed to look much, much better - all selectable buildings and stuff (like the background image) right now it's buttons with ugly text because we needed something that we wouldn't feel attached to in order to be able to change it all as balance problems crop up. But totally with you on that and the rest of the interface, hopefully you'll like where we go with the UI over the next few months!
dislekcia

Re: QA Thoughts

Postby TheLogan on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:43 am

dislekcia wrote:
topagae wrote:Thought maybe you guys would wanna hear this stuff from a QA guy, not bugs but what I'd be telling you if I was working for you.

Tutorial - Not bad, but bad form to have railroaded flows (Just do what we tell you and stop attacking the goat!).

Town - Needs a LOT of love. The text in the tutorial for selecting heroes and adventuring was confusing and wasn't immediately apparent. It's all pretty ugly and flows poorly. Text all over the application isn't centered or formatted consistently. Highly suggest you put some time into making town UI clear, crisp, and sexy. People will be spending a lot of time there.

Will do more later. Gotta do real work.

You're helping a ton so far :)

Quick thing about the Kingdom: It's supposed to look much, much better - all selectable buildings and stuff (like the background image) right now it's buttons with ugly text because we needed something that we wouldn't feel attached to in order to be able to change it all as balance problems crop up. But totally with you on that and the rest of the interface, hopefully you'll like where we go with the UI over the next few months!

Nice work on all the bug reports topagae!!
I was about to comment on the town screen too but luckily i made a quick search first and found your post about the clunky interface, on that note I believe I would make a new/different screen for adventure preperation, where you select your race and class etc, more in line with DD free.
Anyway congratz on your alpha/beta release, really enjoying it, and havn't had a single bug yet! =)
TheLogan

Re: Bug reports (Spoilers ahoy!)

Postby TheLogan on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:48 am

While in combat having mana and health potions take up a slot in the quick select hotkey system seems kinda odd, it worked better when they werent part of the inventory system (like in dd free), i have more than once acciddently cast a wrong spell or thought i was casting a spell and then charge to my doom instead because i miss counted the spells position ^^
TheLogan

Postby metroid composite on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:55 am

More of a possible exploit than a bug, but...the magic guardian in the Northern Desert I was able to PISORF and walk around to access the altar. I think I'm supposed to buy the scroll or something to make it happy (but I never had enough money to afford the scroll).

(I was also able to stone the guardian on another run; that seemed kinda weird for this enemy with 999 stats 100% physical defence, and counters fireballs to just turn to stone from a petrify spell).
metroid composite

Postby q 3 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:29 am

Dunno if this is a bug or just weirdness, but in Vince's Vault there was a subdungeon with one monster completely walled off that I could not seem to access at all (I don't recall finding any glyphs that would have been helpful).

screenshots:
the subdungeon
the dungeon

(As an aside, I think it's a little weird when the dungeon edges end in blackness, rather than with walls, at least when the dungeon is not taking up the full screen.)
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:00 am

I think I might have corrupted my save file somehow although I have no idea how I did it. I think it might have to do with the Fighter's Guild locker for it's final 3 slots upgrade. After I bought it, I came back to town and somehow the 3 empty slots instead had duplicates of my first 3 items.

After that, everytime I come back from a dungeon it throws me this message when I have to relog-in and jumps straight to the map screen instead of the kingdom.

http://tinypic.com/r/2i9thl/7
TigerKnee

Postby Schnazy on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:03 am

Minor quibble with the adviser text on the right side. After second tutorial it says to click the dungeon button to continue but I see no dungeon button. Clicking the go adventuring, the human in the hut then guard in the outpost finally enables the play button. Hovering over/clicking the kingdom buildings shows no text and does nothing. But I do LOVE the idea of the kingdom setup, can't wait to see it fully fleshed out.

Win 7 64x
Firefox 5.0 with noscript and adblock plus
Schnazy

Postby TigerKnee on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 am

Account changing doesn't seem to work. I made a new account and decided to try to go back to my original account, but it doesn't seem to want to change.
TigerKnee

Postby dislekcia on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:21 am

TheLogan wrote:While in combat having mana and health potions take up a slot in the quick select hotkey system seems kinda odd, it worked better when they werent part of the inventory system (like in dd free), i have more than once acciddently cast a wrong spell or thought i was casting a spell and then charge to my doom instead because i miss counted the spells position ^^

Potions take up slots because there are other potions later, you'll see when you get to the Witch. You can also drag items around to rearrange your inventory for easier spellcasting. I do that quite a bit.

metroid composite wrote:More of a possible exploit than a bug, but...the magic guardian in the Northern Desert I was able to PISORF and walk around to access the altar. I think I'm supposed to buy the scroll or something to make it happy (but I never had enough money to afford the scroll).

(I was also able to stone the guardian on another run; that seemed kinda weird for this enemy with 999 stats 100% physical defence, and counters fireballs to just turn to stone from a petrify spell).

Well, you know what he's guarding, so any magic usage that's slightly smart is ok. The scroll is a completely different quest...

q 3 wrote:Dunno if this is a bug or just weirdness, but in Vince's Vault there was a subdungeon with one monster completely walled off that I could not seem to access at all (I don't recall finding any glyphs that would have been helpful).

screenshots:
the subdungeon
the dungeon

(As an aside, I think it's a little weird when the dungeon edges end in blackness, rather than with walls, at least when the dungeon is not taking up the full screen.)

Not a bug. More like a puzzle... Map edges will be much more obvious in future versions, we know it's not awesome the way it is now.

TigerKnee wrote:I think I might have corrupted my save file somehow although I have no idea how I did it. I think it might have to do with the Fighter's Guild locker for it's final 3 slots upgrade. After I bought it, I came back to town and somehow the 3 empty slots instead had duplicates of my first 3 items.

After that, everytime I come back from a dungeon it throws me this message when I have to relog-in and jumps straight to the map screen instead of the kingdom.

http://tinypic.com/r/2i9thl/7

Whoa... Yeah, that's a save system error alright. I'll have to lob that at Aeq when he wakes up. Sorry about that... Hope we can fix it without breaking your save file.

The profile switching is probably related, seeing as it's trying to set your default profile to something that seems to break.

Schnazy wrote:Minor quibble with the adviser text on the right side. After second tutorial it says to click the dungeon button to continue but I see no dungeon button. Clicking the go adventuring, the human in the hut then guard in the outpost finally enables the play button. Hovering over/clicking the kingdom buildings shows no text and does nothing. But I do LOVE the idea of the kingdom setup, can't wait to see it fully fleshed out.

Win 7 64x
Firefox 5.0 with noscript and adblock plus

You should be seeing the map screen, not the Kingdom there... Will see if I can reproduce.
dislekcia

Postby Venijk on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:26 am

I'm guessing low priority, perhaps user error if intended:

If you want to cast a fireball glyph but click the monster before the animation is finished, it results in attacking the monster physically. It's a bit of a nuisance.

[Operating System]
Windows 7

[Browser (version)]
Firefox 5.0

[Steps to Reproduce]
1. Press the fireball glyph hotkey
2. Click a monster before the animation finishes
3. DAMN I DIDN'T MEAN TO ATTACK THAT SLIME PHYSICALLY
Venijk

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons