Notes on the beta

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Notes on the beta

Postby Carl on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:31 pm

increpare wrote:
dislekcia wrote:Could you elaborate on the exact things that happen when your preview behaves oddly? What effects do you have on you (maybe some aren't simulating right) and/or do you step on any powerups/corrosive blood inbetween?

I'll keep a close eye out for when it occurs again.

Dunno if this has been answered yet, but this will happen when using fireball (or any other spell afaik) and hovering over an enemy with the spell, then right-click canceling it, but keeping the mouse hovered over the enemy. The battle is not recalculated, so when you attack you actually die.
Carl

Postby dislekcia on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:54 am

increpare wrote:playing again from scratch
I don't know if it's because the dialogs pop up, but whenever I kill a monster by clicking on it, clicking again to walk to that location doesn't work unless I move the cursor (the red footsteps preview doesn't appear either)
okay, after playing around for a bit in and outside the tutorial area, I've noticed footsteps not appearing a bunch of times - sometimes clicking works, sometimes it doesn't, moving the mouse at all fixes things.

possible to make another kingdom with the same name as an existing one, which overwrites it. (tried to replicate it there: and the first time I tried to create a kingdom of the same name as an existing one, it just plonked me in the same kingdom, and when I tried again it put me in a new blank kingdom).

can press space to press 'ok' on in-game dialogs, but not on ones once you're in the city/kingdom map

the "congratulations, you've just found your first spell glyph" textbox has a missing parenthesis at the end

unending popups make replaying the tutorial quite tedious.

strange that the level ending screen doesn't list all the loot

i find the description of weytwut to be weird. "slows the opponent until it takes damage" but enemies never move until they take damage, so...(I've not to date used it for anything other than swapping places with enemies blocking my way). I've not to date used endiswal for defensive purposes either.

not sure about having numbers activate spells rather than spell-specific hotkeys - I frequently have to tab to my inventory screen to

don't know if the tile rects are being correctly calculated - it seems I can have my mouse on the bottom couple of pixels of some squares square and the one below be highlighted (tried taking a screenshot, but screen capture doesn't capture cursor position in osx).

Wow, epic collection of points. Couple of quick ones (the things that aren't going into the buglist):

Weytwut's slow temporarily removes some of the worst attack effects off enemies, we should probably go back to calling it daze. Slowed enemies can't first strike you, etc.

Spell-specific hotkeys will probably be coming soon.

I get annoyed with the kingdom messages not using spacebar too. Will fix that for sure ;)

Carl wrote:Dunno if this has been answered yet, but this will happen when using fireball (or any other spell afaik) and hovering over an enemy with the spell, then right-click canceling it, but keeping the mouse hovered over the enemy. The battle is not recalculated, so when you attack you actually die.

Thanks, we're still trying to catch all of those. It's just a matter of firing the recalc events at the right time, but there are a ton of edge cases :(
dislekcia

Postby increpare on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:18 am

dislekcia wrote:Weytwut's slow temporarily removes some of the worst attack effects off enemies, we should probably go back to calling it daze. Slowed enemies can't first strike you, etc.

Woah - that's pretty useful!
increpare

Postby increpare on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:47 am

Getting a lot of reconnection errors today (happening >50% of the time). My connection to the internet is pretty stable/good.
increpare

Postby michal.lewtak on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Just played an Elf Paladin in Venture Cave using Hero's Helm and I had some kind of mana burn immunity that didn't even appear in my effects. Bug?
Tried again now and the immunity was gone.
michal.lewtak

Postby FDru on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:45 pm

michal.lewtak wrote:Just played an Elf Paladin in Venture Cave using Hero's Helm and I had some kind of mana burn immunity that didn't even appear in my effects. Bug?

I mentioned in another thread that my sorcerer had poison immunity for no reason. Later on I found that he didn't have poison immunity but I experienced the same thing with a different class. I believe in both cases I was using items from the locker, and I do have a poison immunity item in the locker (but I never actually equipped it, just other things like tri-sword and hero's helm).
FDru

Postby michal.lewtak on Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:18 pm

FDru wrote:
michal.lewtak wrote:Just played an Elf Paladin in Venture Cave using Hero's Helm and I had some kind of mana burn immunity that didn't even appear in my effects. Bug?

I mentioned in another thread that my sorcerer had poison immunity for no reason. Later on I found that he didn't have poison immunity but I experienced the same thing with a different class. I believe in both cases I was using items from the locker, and I do have a poison immunity item in the locker (but I never actually equipped it, just other things like tri-sword and hero's helm).

That makes us a funny pair. With all the forum references QCF is doing, do you suppose they'll turn us two into some special item that can be consumed to provide a mana burn immunity or poison immunity (and the player must choose), but, to balance out its power, it gives you some nasty penalty debuff until you consume it?
EDIT: Or, it occupies two inventory slots, and it's actually just two items, but they're bound together, consuming one destroys the other immediately. That, plus a nasty debuff.
michal.lewtak

Postby zoombini on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:08 pm

michal.lewtak wrote:Just played an Elf Paladin in Venture Cave using Hero's Helm and I had some kind of mana burn immunity that didn't even appear in my effects.

I also had a mana burn immunity while playing a paladin (this was in one of the easy dungeons with no prep though). I remember thinking it was weird that I could hit bandits then heal up.
zoombini

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons