q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: q_3's Vicious Purist Playthroughs

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I pretty much never scum.

The closest I'll get is bailing on a run if I end up getting a bad configuration of monsters that forces me to explore way too much of the dungeon at the early levels.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:35 pm

What's the deal with that? Don't you understand that your technique is allready giving you so much of an advantage over the intended power curve that you don't need to scum?

Depends; sometimes I just want to play something specific, no matter how obscenely overkill the combo may be. Sometimes it's a race/class/dungeon/badge/whatever combo that's particularly tricky. Most of the time I'm not scumming for something specific, but rather anything that gives me a good edge. A level 1 JJ find isn't as good as a level 1 GG find, but I'll certainly take it.

(Oh, and if you want to do anything purist, just take a gnome bloodmage and pay minimal attention. It'll take you more effort to chase badges than beating dungeons dacfrsure)

I prefer Warlord, but Bloodmage should work just find, and also shouldn't have trouble on VHoS (where a purist Warlord will probably choke).
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Yeah, I'll bail when things go really downhill and stuff (and my definition of downhill would probably have restart fan pulling his hairs out of his head 20 minutes before I give up), but why in the world would you want to scum for stuff you can just prep?

I mean, you can't "scumm" a purist badge up - you can, but anyone at all can look at your run, point a finger and say: "Dude, you couldn't've PREPPED for that shit if you wanted".

Case in point, my latest vid - hell, i got purist for a run where I simply found BURNDYRAZ right next to the entrance along with 2 mana boosters and zombie gold. I could've easily won faithless, and from the run that's pretty obvious, but I didn't get that badge, while I got purist which didn't really mean anything.

I mean, I'd rather see a heroic fail that took an hour with that techniqe of q_3's than a "purist" run with that attitude... It's false advertizing...
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm

You can't prep GG at full power. You can't prep an early ENDISWAL find. You can't prep the Trisword/Alchemist Scroll combo. You can't prep the zombie money subdungeon. You can't prep a specific boss on a random dungeon. Scumming isn't something I do regularly, but when I do it's for something that you can't get from preps.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Darvin wrote:You can't prep GG at full power. You can't prep an early ENDISWAL find. You can't prep the Trisword/Alchemist Scroll combo. You can't prep the zombie money subdungeon. You can't prep a specific boss on a random dungeon. Scumming isn't something I do regularly, but when I do it's for something that you can't get from preps.

Why would any sane person NEED any of the things you mention? You really, really, really don't need them anywhere, with the possibe exception of an early ENDISWAL. Sure, for fun, to see the sillyness in action once, but to actually think you need one of those things for real? Really?
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Hee hee, I just posted a Dorkling run through without even having seen this discussion. The reason you scum for weird combos is because weird combos are fun. If I had my way, there wold be some sort of sandbox mode that you could unlock so that you could have fun experimenting with all sorts of once-in-a-lifetime set ups.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Sidestepper wrote:Hee hee, I just posted a Dorkling run through without even having seen this discussion. The reason you scum for weird combos is because weird combos are fun. If I had my way, there wold be some sort of sandbox mode that you could unlock so that you could have fun experimenting with all sorts of once-in-a-lifetime set ups.

Where? :D

Well thats understandable (and Dorclings ARE fun!), but you don't really NEED any of it. Honestly, from a sheer hypothetical perspective - that entire list of Darvins could take a nerf to the head and the game would only lose the "let's whip up a complete monster" thing. Seriously guys, the age where that much tryhardness was needed to beat something is well over and you can practically potion spike anything to death without coming close to anything resembling "optimal play"
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Why would any sane person NEED any of the things you mention?

You don't need them, but that doesn't mean you don't want to crush powerful monsters beneath your ridiculously over-sized boot, hence scumming.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Darvin wrote:
Why would any sane person NEED any of the things you mention?

You don't need them, but that doesn't mean you don't want to crush powerful monsters beneath your ridiculously over-sized boot, hence scumming.

Well, could we at least wait until the damned dungeons are finally more user friendly to the regular folks and take our powergaming crap to vicious Gaan'Telet where it belongs?

EDIT: And refrain from comments like "This isn't so usefull any more, I liked it better before it was nerfed" when they translate to "A mana based Namtars Ward (vicious reward) isn't worth it now that it isn't horribly unbalanced"? Please?
Lujo

Postby q 3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 am

By special request: Namtar, round two.
q 3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons