[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - About the priest...

About the priest...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: About the priest...

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:50 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby harfatum on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:07 am

I'm not hugely in favor of the suggestions.

The light one, because it doesn't make a ton of sense to tie the priest more to undead.

The others, because I don't think they go with the "teaching" purpose of the class.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:12 pm

Lujo

Postby Abraxas on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Just dropping by to remind everyone that anything deity related for the Priest is a no-go. It's still a tier 1 class, so religion related abilities are too advanced for it.
I kind of like the idea of Scout: Undead, but the Priest is already too much of a straightforward/brainless, even in high level play, and this ability would make them even more so, so it might not be the best idea.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:27 pm

And that's why I think it'd turn out fine - he's straightforward to the point of being brainless anyway, but the only option you have (going for undead and potion spiking the boss) too often isn't even on par with other options. It's not like you can really mix it up in any reasonable fashion, this way you'd still be doing the only thing you really can but would at least always find the undead - just knowing where they are would open up possibilities for smart play.

Because right now, on 2 boss levels he fails miserably unless you're really good, or a halfling with the dumbsword. And on maps which waste your exploration anyway, you waste even more exploration looking for the select few fights at any level which are advantageous for you. With scouting you'd be able to put your exploration/utility glyphs to good use, and if it turns out broken the trisword and halflings would finaly get whats coming to them ^^
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 pm

I like the idea of undead sense, since it gives him a reliable source of non-consumable leverage. I also like the indulgence idea. Misclick protection is the gentlest possible introduction of religion possible, and it would make GG Priests somewhat workable. I also *ahem* like my idea of replacing his flat health bonus with a percentage bonus.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Lujo

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 am

Oh, and one more thing - the current priest has major problems with Slime Pits. He'd have problems with any other dungeons of that type, but Slime Pits are a perfect storm of conditions which the priest doesn't like.

Thing is - he can't go undead hunting because of the weakening zombies (only undead on the map I think), and the bosses are The Goo (Priest being lackluster in the magic department) and SMM (whom the priest CAN tank, but the priest is a potion spiker rather than a regan fighter unless you scum really hard / go mad with preps, and a decked out priest is basicaly a player controlled SMM). Sure, it's probably doable with the Triling, but what isn't?

Anywho, Slime Pits were always "that dungeon designed to give Monks fits", but I don't remember the priest ever warranting that kind of hate. Just saying.
Lujo

Postby q 3 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Here's a crazy (?) idea: have the Priest heal weakening and corrosion on level-up. It fits with the RPG Priest "healer" style, isn't dependent on potions, isn't overpowering in easy dungeons but gives him an interesting niche in hard/vicious, and also directly solves the Slime Pit complaint, turning the weakening zombies into nice bonus XP fodder.

EDIT: Also, as far as "teaching" goes, encouraging the Priest to become weakened/corroded by promising to cure it afterwards could help teach players (like me ;) ) not to always fear and shun those status ailments as game-enders.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 am

Very true. Those status effects make thief gold look nightmarish (despite it being one of the easiest golds).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons