E3 for everyone!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: E3 for everyone!

Postby Nandrew on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:55 pm

guyguy wrote:But I do find the decision to develop a game using a 3rd party platform that isn't available for a lot of systems a bit weired - there are so many multi-system platform (html5, java, flash) (well, not flash anymore, what with apple and stuff). Bah. What can I say - I'm biased against Unity.

You're listing web-oriented development tools: the full version of Desktop Dungeons is built for a standalone PC/Mac release (with other platform ports following as Unity allows it), and it's just convenient that Unity has a web player that lets us make releases like this over and above our main plans.

Web was never the intended "primary" for DD, it's just a phase for demo and beta before it can hit the market properly.
Nandrew

Postby Burning on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Thank you guys! Been waiting with bated breath checking the QCF blog daily..sometimes multiple time a day and its great to finally get to play it!

Quick question tho..there isnt sound is there? I hope not becuase im not getting any and I dont wanna be the only one with this problem heh!

(Also already preordered the other day!Keep up all the great work!)
Burning

Postby flap on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:08 pm

There is no sound in E3 demo
flap

Postby Herborist on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:51 pm

flap wrote:There is no sound in E3 demo

Intentional.
Herborist

Postby Hammerfan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Herborist wrote:

Intentional.

Intentional heh? Why is that? Im really just curious as I tought they just werent implemented yet.

PS: Awsome job with the demo, Ive "wasted" quite a few hours on it already. Glad I bought the Special Version now. Cant wait for the beta.
Hammerfan

Postby flap on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:01 pm

"Intentional" as not well enough implemented yet. Even simple stuff, to the technical point of view, need time to be done correctly.

By the way, how is E3 doing ?
flap

Postby Herborist on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:40 pm

Hammerfan wrote:
Herborist wrote:

Intentional.

Intentional heh? Why is that? Im really just curious as I tought they just werent implemented yet.

PS: Awsome job with the demo, Ive "wasted" quite a few hours on it already. Glad I bought the Special Version now. Cant wait for the beta.

They intentionally left it out, is what I meant. It's not an error or bug, it was left out on purpose, but will be in the final version.
Herborist

Postby Hammerfan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Herborist wrote:
Hammerfan wrote:Intentional heh? Why is that? Im really just curious as I tought they just werent implemented yet.

They intentionally left it out, is what I meant. It's not an error or bug, it was left out on purpose, but will be in the final version.

I know, I didnt state that it wasnt intentional. I just asked why!
Hammerfan

Postby guyguy on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 am

Nandrew wrote:You're listing web-oriented development tools: the full version of Desktop Dungeons is built for a standalone PC/Mac release (with other platform ports following as Unity allows it), and it's just convenient that Unity has a web player that lets us make releases like this over and above our main plans.

Web was never the intended "primary" for DD, it's just a phase for demo and beta before it can hit the market properly.

Java is not (only) web based...

But that's not the point, is it? There are many solution for multi-platform development - from manual porting to different platforms, to open source solutions such as SDL, to multi-platform open languages and proprietary environments - and you just have to find the one that works for you. I do find it weired to use Unity - a closed, propriety "programing language" designed for high-end gaming - to develop a game that (although awesome) isn't graphically intensive.

But I guess it's all a question of priorities. That means though that it says something about the developer's priorities.... specifically regarding potential Linux players which tend to be - more so than other platform users - interested in low-resource awesome intelligent games. Again, I might be biased. And quite disappointed that I can't play the demo (so I hope you forgive my tone. I do love your game, and I'm usually a nicer person)
guyguy

Postby Herborist on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:07 am

guyguy wrote:
Nandrew wrote:You're listing web-oriented development tools: the full version of Desktop Dungeons is built for a standalone PC/Mac release (with other platform ports following as Unity allows it), and it's just convenient that Unity has a web player that lets us make releases like this over and above our main plans.

Java is not (only) web based...

But that's not the point, is it? There are many solution for multi-platform development - from manual porting to different platforms, to open source solutions such as SDL, to multi-platform open languages and proprietary environments - and you just have to find the one that works for you. I do find it weired to use Unity - a closed, propriety "programing language" designed for high-end gaming - to develop a game that (although awesome) isn't graphically intensive.

But I guess it's all a question of priorities. That means though that it says something about the developer's priorities.... specifically regarding potential Linux players which tend to be - more so than other platform users - interested in low-resource awesome intelligent games. Again, I might be biased. And quite disappointed that I can't play the demo (so I hope you forgive my tone. I do love your game, and I'm usually a nicer person)

I'm not sure I understand. You're upset that they're using a language designed for high-end gaming? That would seem like a good thing to me...
Herborist

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons