Easiest/Hardest monsters?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Easiest/Hardest monsters?

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Pretty much. The devs put the harshest monsters in the harshest dungeons, so late game, these guys are everywhere.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:22 am

There is one thing I like about the current design of animated armors. Gorgons are really, really good against them.

Between poison strike and death gaze, they can take out even a level 9 armor in 6 attacks. Even less if they get knockback somehow.
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:46 am

How? Does deathgaze remove death protection or kill two at once?
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:30 am

I'm almost shocked they haven't been mentioned yet, but even I tend to forget about them - they're just so ridiculously overpowered that you can usually write them off if they spawn above level 4 or so. Illusions. Total bastards. There isn't a single strategy you can hit them with that they can't ruin; anyone but a Crusader will end up far worse off from a slug fest due to their Weaken effect, PISORF is ineffectual thanks to their phys resist, Counter Fireball is totally unfair especially with Weaken, and unless you're an Assassin you'll have a hard time one-shotting them due again to their phys resist. A level 9 Animated Armor or Frozen Troll I can occasionally see the merit in attacking; even a level 5 Illusion is virtually never worth the effort.
q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:46 am

Incidentally, I think Assassins ignore Death Protections on lower level monsters too, so they're one of the better classes for killing AA up to level 8 or so, I guess.
TigerKnee

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:50 am

^omfg I agree about illusions. And the orb of lusory? Basically useless unless they're blocking a lane. The boss isn't magical attacking, it converts for nearly nothing, and it grants no bonus for removing the illusions.
I play everything in every genre. Add me on steam!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:33 pm

^Yeah, illusions are a pain, but they dont appear outside halls of steel much. Or at all?

And, yeah, Assasin beats everything, as long as he can level up (easy with str potion prep).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:00 pm

Illusions are unique to Halls of Steel. I think they are meant to be largely unbeatable.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Which is why assasins walk all over plenty of vicious dungeons, even ones where poison doesn't work -.-
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:49 pm

The Avatar wrote:How? Does deathgaze remove death protection or kill two at once?

It removes two at once. The deathgaze triggers, removing one, then the normal attack removes the second.

I had one run where I was taking off three levels at once, since I also picked up Stone Fist for knockback.
gjaustin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons