Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 pm

I guess you'll have to do the same to Tomithy if you want to win.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 pm

Lujo wrote:Heh, the new Bleaty eats Dodge and Reflex potions. I can't remember the last time I didn't one-shot him for no damage :) If he's giving you trouble, thats your answer, you don't even need any mana.

That's hard as a Mystera Paladin :)

It might be time to do the Witch's quests again, so that I can prep a pair of those potions :(
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:49 pm

The Avatar wrote:I guess you'll have to do the same to Tomithy if you want to win.

Has anyone ever done it without resists or cydstep? Because Tomithy's probably killable with potions, and so's Bleaty, and you can actually prep a pair for bleaty once they fix potions, and you'd need, oh, say, 2 pairs for Tomithy I'd say. Is this managable?
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:39 pm

xspeedballx wrote:On topic about monks, I wonder if with their original 50/50 reduction they could have been balanced with a reduction in spell casting ability. Maybe starting with 5 mana? Or having no natural mana recovery(reverse bludtopowa) but get 1 mana per kill(inherent blue bead). In my other post I spoke about flavor, and I am just trying to maintain it in this very fun and unique class, and I feel less of it with the recent change.

The Monk's real attribute that gives him his flavor is the double regen. That's the core thing about him. He was given resistances and low damage to teach people to regen fight, for a lot of people Monk was the first class that strategy paid off with. Which is kinda why we don't want to kill the combination of those elements - there's a larger reason for the Monk to be the way he is... Dropping the magic resist was a neat way to both mirror what players understood about the Berserker and maintain the tutorial aspects of the class. All the tier 2's have a playstyle learning point to them ;)

xspeedballx wrote:On another note and this is just general, I think a class that gained mana and/or health back on peity gain in some fashion would be really neat. Make you really think about a lot choices as you make them and when.

We messed with this for the Crusader a bit, it didn't feel right with his other attributes (and made Taurog and Tikki far too powerful for him) so we gave him the extra altar instead. We have a bunch of classes that we'd like to add at some point, but we're frozen on new content at the moment. We do want to get this game out eventually ;)
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:45 pm

dislekcia wrote:The Monk's real attribute that gives him his flavor is the double regen. That's the core thing about him. He was given resistances and low damage to teach people to regen fight, for a lot of people Monk was the first class that strategy paid off with. Which is kinda why we don't want to kill the combination of those elements - there's a larger reason for the Monk to be the way he is... Dropping the magic resist was a neat way to both mirror what players understood about the Berserker and maintain the tutorial aspects of the class. All the tier 2's have a playstyle learning point to them;

If I may ask, I've never really figured out what the sorcerer's one was? Combining magic and melee? I always wanted to know, and the other guys had obvious penalties that compensated for big boons, he doesn't seem to...
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 am

Lujo wrote:If I may ask, I've never really figured out what the sorcerer's one was? Combining magic and melee? I always wanted to know, and the other guys had obvious penalties that compensated for big boons, he doesn't seem to...

The Sorc is about cast order. The first thing to learn is that it's better to hit first, then cast with a Sorc, players can get to this class without needing to think much about when they cast something. After that, Sorcs are about burst damage and planning - the extra mana and double attack via mana-shield push this thinking.

With that in mind, what do you think the Berserker is all about? ;)
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:12 am

dislekcia wrote:With that in mind, what do you think the Berserker is all about? ;)

I'll pretend it couldn't be a rethorical, maybe i hit the right answer, and a newbie comes along and benefits from it. Or you can point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

Off the top of my head, I'd say really thinking about what you use your limited mana pool for, and fighting upwards (obviously). You have need and the means for only one spell, and often the most beneficial is whatever gives you first strike. Since the only starting magic damage enemy is the big damage, low HP warlock, you can kill some really higher up ones.

EDIT: Also converting everything, now that the wizard is changed.
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons